Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask WM J Kraus & Son in Keokuk about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between expert cleanings.
First and foremost, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at WM J Kraus & Son. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at WM J Kraus & Son about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Keokuk home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at WM J Kraus & Son a call at 319-229-2318.