Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Keokuk during the winter time, when they’re required to keep you toasty. While you know the team at WM J Kraus & Son will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is needed and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound strange, but make sure everything is set to “on”. We’ve been to numerous calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is set to off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, revisit your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to test if it turns on.
- If everything looks correct, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that guard the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an impasse causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Inspect your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unbarred?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump repair, call WM J Kraus & Son at 319-229-2318 and we’ll restore your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.